Google Analytics Tracker

Tuesday 24 March 2015

Maui Wowie!!

Wowie is right!!

It's been months since I have posted as I've been trying to work less and enjoy life more...

In doing such, I took a much needed vacation to visit the little island of Maui.  To be honest, I had never had much of a desire to go there.  I pictured it to be an over-vacationed destination that didn't really hold any excitement in terms of adventure for me.  Boy, was I wrong!  It held adventure, beauty, fun, exploration and the best meal of my life!!  I absolutely loved it!!

We didn't spend much time laying on beaches, catching rays and drinking fruity drinks (though we made sure we put some time aside for that); instead we explored and experienced all that Maui had to offer!

We spent a full day driving around the island, where I tightly gripping the steering wheel as we cruised the windy road to Hana.  We received mixed reviews from fellow travellers and locals about driving the back road on our way home (2 hours shorter and supposedly much more "dangerous") and well... we went for it anyways.  It turned out to be our favourite part of the trip!!  It was the most beautiful drive I have ever been on.  I felt like we were cruising through Jurrasic Park!  With the incredibly vast landscape, exposing deep grooves of the back side of the Haleakala, I felt like at any moment a T-Rex would pop out of nowhere, pick up our rental jeep and swallow us whole.

On our final morning, I was awoken with a surprise helicopter ride!!  There, we dove down waterfalls, saw pods of humpback whales and one of the largest coral reefs on the island of Molokai.  An incredible experience to say the least.

From snorkeling with sea turtles, waking up at 3am to drive up to the 10,000ft elevation of Haleakala to watch the sunrise, cooking dinner with friends using local "catch of the day" Mahi-mahi to getting rocked in turquoise swells and spending hours indulging in a seven course meal created by Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto, Maui more than exceeded my expectations...

If you ever have the opportunity to to Maui, I highly recommend checking out my top 3 favourite edibles I indulged in while visiting...

The best meal I have EVER had - Chef's tasting menu - Morimoto Maui
The most incredible ice cream -  Banana toffee crunch - Hula Cookies & Ice Cream
My favourite savour spread - Kokohead Foods Smoked Ahi Tuna Spread - Any grocery store

Here are some of my favourite shots from the trip...

Post Track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVSiwMVaKe4



















































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment